This project advances Iron Fuel Technology™ from TRL 5 to TRL 7, encompassing the development of the value chain and legal frameworks. End-users can subsequently execute pilot projects to reduce CO2 and nitrogen emissions, while technology developers can attract venture capital for scaling and commercial implementation in the industry.
Pioneering innovation: results
The project’s success is marked by a TRL 7 iron fuel boiler system (1MW) and a 200kW iron fuel production system, both achieving validated results aligned with customer needs.
Through an impact study, the project organizes supply chains, value chains, and legal frameworks. These technical advancements support the decarbonization and denitrification of heat demand in energy-intensive industries. The holistic approach, integrating suppliers, value chains, legal structures, and human capital, ensures a sustainable revenue model, fostering commercial success.
The consortium targets installing 750 MW within a decade, leading to significant environmental impact and a cumulative economic value of approximately 1.9 billion Euros, enhancing Dutch earning capacity and claiming a 0.25% European market share, creating 2600 jobs.
Bridging concept to impact: activities
• Explore feasibility Investigate theoretical feasibility with a dynamic Iron Fuel Technology™ model, including life cycle analysis.
• Innovative design Design a 1MW iron fuel boiler and a 200kW iron fuel production system.
• Efficient implementation Implement the 1MW iron fuel boiler and 200kW iron fuel production system.
• Practical validation Validate KPIs of Iron Fuel Technology™ at TRL7 in Helmond (1MW boiler) and Arnhem (200kW system).
• Stakeholder engagement Engage stakeholders across the value chain: end-users, traders, hydrogen suppliers, insurers, environmental agencies, financiers, and regulators.
• Learning Hub establishment Establish a dynamic learning environment for Iron Fuel Technology™.
• Strategic Project Management Manage the project strategically, emphasizing effective communication throughout.
- Project progress 45% 45%