Enabling 100% sustainable heat.
Iron Fuel Technology™
The cleantech for energy-intensive industries.
To enable 100% sustainable process heat, we need new cost-effective technologies. The Iron Fuel Technology™ enables us to drastically reduce our CO2 emissions. It offers a new class of fuel which can provide reliable and fully renewable heat, year-round.
The Iron Fuel Technology™ has been demonstrated to be:
No CO2 and low NOx emissions during combustion.
Iron fuel is circular, meaning it can be used over and over again.
Not dangerous or harmful; therefore cheap to store and transport.
Lower or comparable cost of energy compared to other clean tech.
Containing 25.4 GJ of energy per cubic meter.
- Reliable renewable and sustainable heat
- Independent of weather events and seasons
- Energy transport without new infrastructure
- Renewable energy when and where it is needed
A decarbonized world
- No harmful emissions
- Deep decarbonization with limited changes to infrastructure
- Durable systems
- Creating numerous jobs in various fields
A new process to store and release energy.
The working principle is easy. In its simplest description, we are rusting and unrusting iron. Rusting, or combustion, yields high-temperature energy that is converted into steam or hot water. Unrusting, or production, takes place by chemical reaction with hydrogen. In this way, sustainable hydrogen becomes storable, transportable and made suitable for zero-carbon high-temperature heat delivery.
Applicable in multiple energy transport and storage concepts..
Iron fuel production and boiler systems can be placed at separate locations. In addition, iron fuel does not have to be used directly after being produced. The technology enables energy storage and transport, so it can be used at other places and/or times. In this way, iron fuel unlocks the potential for trade of clean energy.
Iron fuel can be tranported either regional (<100 km), continental (100-3000 km) or intercontinental (>3000 km).
Iron fuel can be stored on multiple timescales: short (<10 days), medium (10-180 days) or seasonal (>180 days).
Talking about our progress.
To realize our ambition, we work according to a planned path of development. Major milestones have already been reached and more will soon follow. Take a closer look at the main steps we take to reach commercial deployment of the Iron Fuel Technology™ in 2024.
Proof of Principle
- Researchers at TU/e showed that the process is technically possible.
- Together with the MEC consortium, we executed a techno-economic study and selected the most promising technology for iron fuel production.
- We created analytical and numerical models for the design of our production technology, centered around customer requirements.
Validation of technical principles
- Tests will be done to validate the largest technical challenges derived from the software models in a lab setup.
Proof of concept
- We will demonstrate a continuous and cost-effective production process, practically validating the business case of iron fuel production.
- A scaled-up and optimized process will be realized and demonstrated. This unit will be the prototype of commercial iron fuel production systems.
- Realization of the first ever industrial iron fuel production plant at scale. This system will be the starting point of commercial roll-out of iron fuel production plants.
- Deployment of multiple commercial systems for iron fuel production to supply commercial boilers.
Proof of Principle – Lab
- Student team SOLID demonstrates at TU/e that combustion of iron fuel is technically possible.
Proof of Principle – Industry
- The Metal Power consortium demonstrated world’s first industrial iron fuel boiler at the Bavaria brewery of Swinkels Family Brewers.
- The most crucial technical, economic and environmental performance requirements are indicated and validated with potential customers.
- We created advanced analytical and numerical models for the design of iron-fueled boilers, centered around customer requirements.
Proof of concept
- We will realize a proven iron fuel burner which demonstrates the business case of iron fuel in practice.
- Realization of a cost-effective industrial iron fuel boiler. The unit will be the prototype of commercial iron fuel boilers.
- Realization of the first ever industrial iron fuel boiler at scale. This system will be the starting point of commercial roll-out of iron fuel boilers.
- Deployment of multiple commercial systems in the district heating, food and beverage, paper and pulp industry.